Friday, December 26, 2008

Experience at Cape Town - Dedicated to my father, friend Sowmyalakshmi and cousin brother Varadarajan for their constant encouragement and support.

21st birthday is a special occasion for anyone. I had not the faintest idea of how special mine was going to be. All I can say now after having found out is that IT WAS SIMPLY i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e and a-m-a-z-i-n-g..

I was told to apply to attend an "international" conference in South Africa as one among the four from my college who did it. It was to try and be one of the 10 students, who would be sponsored the whole trip by Infosys, provided they get selected. I just did it for the sake of it, sans great interest or motivation. Perhaps I was more keen on enjoying the b'day surprises. Never for a minute did I realise the biggest b'day gift that was in store. And then it came when the whole world was saluting one great Indian leader, the "frail-by-look" but "stronger-than-my college-idli" kinda person. Wanna have a guess? I bet you will get it right. Mahatma Gandiji's b'day, Oct 2nd I got a mail, about my selection for the conference. I was indeed one of the ten from our country who will be travelling to the beautiful city of Cape Town. Did I believe it? No way. My head shot at me a volley of questions. Confusion and questions of authenticity primarily. Why me? How me? Why not others?... endless.

I knew I will have to find answers to them before I can explain it to anyone else.




Even after the selection and confirmation, there was this constant skepticism of "Is it safe to travel to South Africa?" "Is it not this crime ridden area?" and above all, "Don't you have to travel alone?". Yet, a faint voice from within kept cooing that I had to take it up. So that gave me the necessary determination to fight through the odds (though only a few) to reach the tip of Africa. The rest of the fortnight which I had before people wished me Bon-voyage now seems like a dream. The pressure of exams, uncertainty of Visa, navratri festivities, excitement (afterall, it was going to be my first trip across the seas) and above all the pace at which days dragged without giving me the answers. I never knew of my resilience and persistence before. Nor did I appreciate the concern of friends and family so much. Thus, the fourteen days of which I remember literally every minute, passed before I was actually ready to discover why the world is big.




By the way, I never mentioned what the conference was about right? Well, it was an ensemble of students, teachers, industrialists and educationalists from across the globe who had one common thread to unite them. ENGINEERING. All the attendees were in one or other way associated with this interesting field of education. A diverse population of students from various geographical, cultural and social backgrounds left me wondering where I would fit in. But I was fitted like in a jigsaw puzzle, with all the ease. Besides, the other nine students from our country proved what it means to be together, when alone. Desi fun with the hilarious Indian gang along with my kharab filmy hindi made a rocking combo.




Out there in Long street (which is perfectly rightly named) I had the most educative, informative, refreshing (and add whatever possible adjectives you can) experience. The sights, sounds, smell and people were entirely new. The clean roads, organised traffic, friendly people and unique wildlife that I saw made me oblivious to the fact that crime and poverty have also inhabited this place equally. Similar to India in many ways, this place also has its traditional and historic culture, replete with many different tribal settlements. In an inaugural evening, I got to witness one of their splendid native dance performances. High pitched singing, accompanied by their Djembe drums and Marimba (the wooden piano) synchronised only too well with their fleet-footed fast beat dancing. Huah... I think these people are born with talent as a finger.




Social issues are a part of this place as well. Informal settlements (slums) which the government is trying to convert into better living areas and a lot of people still trying to make both ends meet, stroll around asking for alms in a strange way, making you feel you do a mistake by not giving them any. Nevertheless, having been a country with not-a-favourable past, the country is still quite pushy about education and tourism promotion. The very landscape is the abode of nature. I also had one opportunity to visit the Life Community Welfare Children’s Home, in the community of Elsie’s River, which was someplace like the orphanages here. It houses children with physically, mentally or socially neglected past. Over there, I met Mama Ivy, who runs the place and understood why it still rains. Some human hearts are still bountiful in their love for fellow human beings.




The party culture of the place leaves the people crazy till very late into the nights. One can never miss out the noise, glee and joy of the midnights in Long street. Party buses go around the place as well. Yet, most of them are completely fresh and geared up for the next day as ever. Unlike us, for we would sleep for ages even after just 14 hours of air travel and a day of hectic work. It made me wonder what made that difference. Where do we err, that makes our hunger for knowledge quite extinct at times.



Mera Bharath mahan kind of feeling was aroused, looking at the Maharaja Indian restaurant right opposite the backpackers where I stayed. Yet another Masala Dosa made me long for home food a couple of times. But I have absolutely no complaints. I am all praise for the contract lady there, who arranged for special vegetarian dishes to be served for some of us.



The highlight of the whole event was the closing banquet dinner hosted at Moyo, the brilliantly illuminated garden and party destination, completely African in every possible dimension. Many international evening gatherings are held here. The beautiful lighting, cool evening breeze, typical African music with endless varieties of sumptuous dishes to choose from make the experience very special. The people there also draw some strange designs on one's cheeks and forehead. That, combined with their native spirited music instills that tribal or Zulu feel.




So, are we done with it? Not yet, as our official tour around the city was scheduled only for the next day. Refreshing blue waters of the beach, African penguins having a gala of their own and the breathtaking view from Cape Point leaves one gasping. This city is very special due to its coastal as well as elevated topography. The Table Mountain is a paradise for any photographer. With its incredibly flat nature, which has brought the name, it keeps alluring the tourists further through the rocks. To add to the splendour of the mountain, on every side are the sparkling waters of the ocean, glistening in morning glory. The cable car that takes people up, has a unique feature, which makes it rotate. Tourists can thus, never miss the fantabulous view of the cape from the top. Through the tricky and rocky mountain one can spot the view points that are a compulsory treat to the eyes. One never feels content, shopping for native artifacts and souvenirs. The endless array of wooden masks, multi-hued ostrich eggs, long legged tribal black ladies and African wild life in metal are simply irresistable.



But, good things always have to come to an end right? Thats why people treasure their memories of good things and times. So did I. With a reluctant spirit to leave the place and yet with an overflowing satisfaction and happiness, we bid farewell to all our international friends. But what I should not forget is the taxi driver who also contributed a lot to our memories while on our way back to the airport. He was all praise for India and Indians and is hoping to lay his eyes on the Poetry in White marble (Taj Mahal) soon.




More than being just an educative and fun-filled trip, the travel on its own has been a great experience. One realises one's own strengths and capabilities. Be it a wonderful and favourable one or one with all unexpected twists and turns, travel brings in a change in the outlook of every individual and for that matter, it is priceless.

So was that not a perfect 21st b'day gift???





4 comments:

  1. welcome to a different world, of blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good entry......and lucky u! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my oh my@ ! look who's here! and why is my name there?! i wonfer!!!!
    Welcome aboard Lachugirl! You deserve to be here. Rocking post. One suggestion. Add some pictures. I know your camera would've seen more than 3 rolls. Just add a few here.
    Note(to others): Lakshmi is an awesome photographer.
    So gal, give those beauties(the pics) a chance~!
    :) :) :)
    And yeah.. Thanks for bringing South Africa to my world :) Very descriptive and imaginative...
    way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. laksmi... i've never ever read a blog before but i can assure this will the best one i'll ever read... its beautiful .... n d way u've put ur feelings into words is commendable.... when i was reading it i felt i was reading a part of my own memory... its just awesome.... u rock.... love u loads

    ReplyDelete