Sunday, August 7, 2011

NOSTALGIA… I had written this for my school's 25th year celebrations...

It has been four years since I stepped out of this second home called “school” to pursue my “engineering education”- A transition from pampering to maturity, fantasy to reality and playfulness to responsibility. A second home indeed it was to me, since the day I set foot here when I was still a thumb-sucking four year old. The days when my teachers saw me grow up from a stubborn little kindergarten student to a self-motivated individual are perhaps the best thirteen years spent by far. A lot of cultural but religious beliefs and traditions followed here, right from starting the day with invocations to the almighty to singing in unison on auspicious Friday mornings have always spread an aura of positive energy to the inmates.
The motherly care and concern of teachers along with their dedicated tutoring routines are factors that have made me what I am today. Of all the places in this small but beautiful campus, my favorites are the little temple of Lord Ganesha, the physics lab which stills leaves me nostalgic when I think of the days I was fascinated by mercury and prisms and the library which opened my horizons to a wider world and made me comprehend the pleasure of imagination. It influenced a lot of students’ development. Thanks to our good old librarian and the school management. The volunteering days in school were fun, as it involved accompanying little kids to class, taking care of primary classes from mischief during lunch breaks, pulling out pranksters who are responsible for the flat tyres in cycle stand and so on.
With school annual day come the welcome days of cutting classes for practice and rehearsals. The participants feel mighty important as they actually belong in it. Activities like scouting and guiding have transformed so many students’ perceptions about life outside home. Away from the vigilant eyes of parents, along with just friends and spirits out in the open, teaches many valuable lessons in life. Another interesting aspect of our school is their system of “value education” where we were made to follow a value every month. I still remember the month of cleanliness and the way we cleaned my class and made it look like a miniature wedding hall. Patience, politeness, punctuality, discipline and many more to add to the list contributed to improving the outlook of students.
Appreciation is always encouraging to those who deserve and there is no dearth of it in my school. Plenty of competitions, prizes and scholarships continuously drive the students in pursuit of excellence. Excursions and recreations emphasize the importance of joy and togetherness. Ultimately, be it the daily news in the assembly or the pledge or daily thoughts, every activity is carried out with the students’ development as the primary motive. Academics, co-curricular activities, sports and cultural events in right proportions can transform the students to confident and independent individuals ready to face the world. On this 25th year of its relentless service, I extend my gratitude to all those people who have contributed tremendously in my formative years in this school.
With all my prayers and wishes for the continued development, improvement and success of my second home…
-Lakshmi. S

No comments:

Post a Comment